I've been working more on the dining room wallpaper. It is actually coming along faster than I thought it would. I've made some pretty good progress on getting down some remaining spots of paper, without damaging more of the drywall. I'm close to trying to use the orbital sander, with a high grit sandpaper, on the walls to try to remove some of the thick, dried glue and remaining bits of paper. This might not be the advised course of action, but what the heck. The walls can't get any worse than they are right now, so I figure I might as well try something that could save us a little time.
Once we have the walls in decent enough condition comes the process of prime, patch, sand, skim coat, and repeat as necessary. I was feeling hopeless for a while, but now I am convinced it can be done, and in a reasonable amount of time, at that.
If you recall, we started here. Terrible. Seriously, just awful. This trompe l'oeil paper was easily the worst one in the house.
Aaaand this is where we are now. This is a particularly bad section of wall. I've done some preliminary spackling on the end wall, although in this picture it's hard to tell what is what. It looks scary, I know, but progress has been made. One little piece at a time, eventually it will all come down.