What do they say? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well, call me certifiable. I went for it in the laundry room. I did this of my own accord. I wanted to do it, and it was going to be a surprise for Dave.
With Dave planning a two week business trip to China, I started planning how I would entertain myself. Of the million and a half projects I've been putting off, did I choose one of those to keep me busy while Dave was gone? No. Of course not. I had a much more brilliant idea. Wallpaper. Wallpaper? As in, I don't know, finishing the dining room or half bath finally? Pffffft. No! What fun would that be? I decided to make a new mess. And oh boy, a mess did I make.
It started off so well. I planned out my design for the room. Scoped out the shelving I would buy at Home Depot, took all my measurements, bought accessories. I found the perfect storage baskets, at a great price. My plan was coming together. I even did some preliminary peeling behind the door to the hall, and to my delight, the paper came off like a dream. No sprays, just peeled right off.
It was going to be awesome. I could see it in my head. Walking in to the mudroom after picking Dave up from the airport; fresh paint, organized baskets, pictures on the walls, plenty of storage. This would be a cinch.
The day he left I got right to work. Almost immediately, I regretted my decision. It was deja vu all over again. Ripped drywall, backing that won't come off, ugh. The only saving grace was that there was only one layer. Just one! And so, for 13 days, every evening I picked. I sprayed, I scraped, I worked. By the second week, my drive had dwindled. I was now working with a wine glass glued to my left hand. I had accepted that there wasn't a chance in hell that I'd be finishing this like I'd planned.
Instead of pictures of my new mess, I'll leave you with a collage of the accessories I bought for the project. The background color is very close to my desired paint color. I haven't quite nailed down that color, but I think I've got some time to sort that out...
Monday, June 6
This was my first attempt at the new bedside tables for the guest bedroom. My first paint color fail. I was so excited to get these sanded, primed and painted so quickly. But the paint color was just not right. I liked it, but it wasn't what it was supposed to be. Not at all even close to the sample.
And so I accepted defeat, and drove back to Home Depot. I selected a deeper, much more red shade, with a built in primer to make sure it went on well over the pink.
After the first coat, I could already tell it was much better. I am really glad I sucked up the $13 and went for the new color. I am really pleased with them. As you can see I also had another project going at the same time, a revamp of an old coffee table that will soon serve as our TV stand.
My goal is to find a pair of lamps, a few more accessories, and a few more pieces of wall art, and then be done. Done! This was originally supposed to be the "Boat Room", and house all of our various boat artwork. At some point the room took a different turn, and the old artwork didn't seem to fit anymore. Thank goodness for Etsy and its endless supply of cool art.