Sunday, June 26

The definition of insanity.

What do they say? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well, call me certifiable. I went for it in the laundry room. I did this of my own accord. I wanted to do it, and it was going to be a surprise for Dave.

With Dave planning a two week business trip to China, I started planning how I would entertain myself. Of the million and a half projects I've been putting off, did I choose one of those to keep me busy while Dave was gone? No. Of course not. I had a much more brilliant idea. Wallpaper. Wallpaper? As in, I don't know, finishing the dining room or half bath finally? Pffffft. No! What fun would that be? I decided to make a new mess. And oh boy, a mess did I make.

It started off so well. I planned out my design for the room. Scoped out the shelving I would buy at Home Depot, took all my measurements, bought accessories. I found the perfect storage baskets, at a great price. My plan was coming together. I even did some preliminary peeling behind the door to the hall, and to my delight, the paper came off like a dream. No sprays, just peeled right off.

It was going to be awesome. I could see it in my head. Walking in to the mudroom after picking Dave up from the airport; fresh paint, organized baskets, pictures on the walls, plenty of storage. This would be a cinch.

The day he left I got right to work. Almost immediately, I regretted my decision. It was deja vu all over again. Ripped drywall, backing that won't come off, ugh. The only saving grace was that there was only one layer. Just one! And so, for 13 days, every evening I picked. I sprayed, I scraped, I worked. By the second week, my drive had dwindled. I was now working with a wine glass glued to my left hand. I had accepted that there wasn't a chance in hell that I'd be finishing this like I'd planned.

Instead of pictures of my new mess, I'll leave you with a collage of the accessories I bought for the project. The background color is very close to my desired paint color. I haven't quite nailed down that color, but I think I've got some time to sort that out...

No comments:

Post a Comment