Monday, June 28

Tribute to an old friend.



Oh domino, how I miss you. Domino magazine was published by Conde Nast from 2005 until 2009, when the recession finally took it's toll on the publication. The day I heard this news is one I will not soon forget. I got in on domino early on and was quickly hooked. As I already had a subscription to its sister publication, Lucky (a fashion shopping magazine), I was sent a preview issue of domino. I was sold. Not only did it have beautiful glossy images of chic homes, the best part was that it told you where you could find all of the items shown and how much they cost. It blended expensive designer items with bargain finds, listed paint colors, and gave alternatives for one of a kind or antique items featured.

Since the first issue it's been a great inspiration to me. I'm sad to say I don't have every issue in my library, but I do have a sizable collection. During one move I hastily threw away some of the early issues but I have not made that mistake again. Domino also had a great website that was unfortunately shut down along with the magazine. However, thanks to the internet many of it's images still live on. Here are a few of my favorites...


I can't say enough about this kitchen. Stainless steel appliances, gorgeous marble, my favorite color blue paint, and an over the top chandelier. If I could copy this exactly in my house I would, but I don't think it would translate as well with our set up. It is however a great inspiration photo.


I love the bold use of such a dark color in a children's room. A bit taboo one might think, but balanced with the bright white paint on the fireplace and brightly colored toys, it comes out quite fun. This kind of a room growing up would most certainly breed sophistication and cool into any kid.









Again, bold color, but when played off lots of white, whimsical prints and laid back artwork it all works. This room has a thrown together, flea market feel that's actually pulled together pretty perfectly. It's a bright and inviting, quaint little space.











Ah symmetry, a beautiful thing when done as well as this. A pair of twin beds has never looked so chic. The mix of light blue and bright pink, paired with crisp black and white is one of my personal favorites. I love the odd juxtaposition of the butterfly prints above the bed. I would have never thought to do that, but somehow it works quite well.








I almost forgot the best part! In 2008 domino released The Book of Decorating. A guide to domino style, chock full of pictures and how-to advice. It breaks decorating (I know, not my favorite word, but in this case I'll go along) into simple elements and tells you how to put everything together in a way that works for you. It retails for $32 and is available online through Amazon, Overstock, etc as well as in store at Anthropologie, West Elm and many more.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love the children's room!! How cool would it have been to have a fireplace in the nursery? It's dark in a magical kind of way - like a Tim Burton movie. I like it.

    ReplyDelete