Monday, March 15

Out of the mouths of babes.

Dave's brother and nephew (I'll call him E) came for a visit on Saturday. I took E upstairs to meet the cat since it was his first visit and he wasn't even aware we had one. I gave him a brief tour of the upstairs and to my surprise I found myself quite embarrassed that I didn't have much to show him. I hurried him through room after disappointing room. I'm sure a 2 year old, even one as smart as him, doesn't quite understand so many empty rooms.

I sheepishly showed him our bedroom, strewn with laundry and gym bags, bed unmade, before turning to return to the cat. We stopped at the full guest bath in the hall. Almost too enthusiastically he said, "Wow, that's a nice bathroom!" Is he humoring me? Granted I had decked it out with new fluffy bath mats, our best towels and a silver tray of seashells, but I couldn't help but feel he was throwing me a bone on that one.

More disappointing was the realization that although yes, we do have a basement, sadly it is not full of toys. "Sorry, just a few boxes" I explained, to which he answered..."of toys?"

No comments:

Post a Comment